RushShelby Energy’s Safety Village
Ideal for elementary school students, this program features the cooperative’s “Safety Village,” a model community complete with a working low voltage electrical distribution system. The desktop model is well-suited for use in the classroom.
Items covered in the demonstration include:
- How electricity is created and distributed.
- Keep small appliances away from water to avoid possible electrical shock. Some of these items include hair dryers, curling irons, hot curlers, shavers, radios, toasters, and coffee makers.
- Be sure to check electric cords frequently for damage that may cause fire or shock.
- What to do if there are downed power lines on a vehicle.
- If you’re using power tools outside, be sure it’s dry in the area.
- Unplug electric appliances during storms.
- Don’t fly kites near power lines.
- Don’t climb trees that are near power lines.
- Never unplug from an outlet by pulling the cord, pull the plug itself.
- If you see a downed power line, stay away. Never touch it.
High Voltage Safety Demonstration
Electrocution is the fifth leading cause of accidental death in the United States. More than 700 people lose their lives every year because of accidents associated with electricity and electrical products.
Electrical safety education is an important part of RushShelby Energy’s commitment to local communities. Through our safety demonstrations RushShelby Energy employees show students and businesses the potential dangers of electrical equipment and how to avoid accidents and injury.
For many years, RushShelby Energy has traveled across its 9 county service territory with a trailer equipped with a model electrical distribution system, including poles, wires, and transformer, among other equipment. The demonstrations are performed with live electrical power, (7,000 volts) to educate the public about proper safety precautions around electrical equipment.
This demonstration is great for school or civic groups with 50 or more people present.
For more information or to schedule an event please contact RushShelby Energy at (800) 706-7362.