Welcome to RushShelby Energy
Shelby and Rush County REMCs were formed and began constructing distribution lines in 1935 and 1936. The electric cooperatives were formed by local groups of citizens who wanted electricity installed in rural areas surrounding their small towns and communities. They were granted low interest loans from the federal government's REA (Rural Electrification Association) to finance the construction costs. In the summer of 1998, members of Rush County REMC and Shelby County REMC approved the creation of RushShelby Energy Rural Electric Corporation. RushShelby Energy serves more than fourteen thousand meters in all of Rush County and Shelby County. It also serves portions of Fayette, Franklin, Bartholomew, Decatur, Hancock, Henry and Johnson counties.